- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons minute-tapioca
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 3 large eggs, separated
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium saucepan over low heat, melt butter. Whisk in the minute-tapioca, Worcestershire sauce, black pepper and whole milk.
- Bring mixture to a full boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, and then immediately remove from heat. Add the grated cheese, stirring constantly until melted and smooth.
- Beat egg yolks until thick and light lemon colored. Add a small amount of the cheese mixture to the egg yolks to temper; and then stir egg yolks into the cheese mixture in saucepan.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites until stiff; gently fold egg whites into the cooked cheese mixture.
- Pour the mixture into a buttered 6-cup soufflé dish or a 1 ½ - quart casserole dish. Place dish into a larger baking pan, and fill baking pan with hot water to a depth of one inch.